Saturday, September 24, 2011

Catching Up...

Happy September blog friends!

There has been a lot going on here in the last month. Most of which were natural disasters. First the earthquake, that I definitely felt! Lets just say that was an experience and it gives me a whole new appreciation for those that experience them more often. Then Irene, which left us without power for 4 days. Yeah, it was an inconvenience, but we were one of the lucky ones that cook with propane, so we were able to heat up water on the stove, so we could take a warm bath. Most people in our neighborhood have electric only, so they had to retreat to bathe. We did lose everything in our refridgerator, but at least we waited to do our grocery shopping, because we knew it was coming. The weather was warm, but could have been so much hotter, so I consider us lucky. Then there was tropical storm, Lee, which turned out to be the worst of the 3. We've had flooding in our area before, but this had major roads under water. My husband couldn't get to work that Thursday & Friday. The local Ford Dealership was under water. Several sink holes opened up. So many people, including my parents, had flooded basements. It was really something. We were lucky though. I really feel for those that live in the north eastern states. They got it so much worse.

That Friday evening, September 9th, I was suppose to leave for Stamp Camp, which was an all weekend event. As I was on my way out, a neighbor told me that their was a bad accident on my route there. I was already taking a different route, due to closed roads from the floods. I called the hostess and she told me of another route to take, so I proceeded to go. Well, I got lost on the way there. I don't have GPS, but thank God for cell phones, or I could have been lost forever! I had never been to this place before and after being on the road for 3 hours, I finally made it safely. I was greeted with everyone clapping for me. How embarrassing! LOL!

For this event, we each had to bring a make-n-take for 21 people to complete and a completed card to swap toward the end of the event. The make-n-take would be voted on and the top 3 cards would win a prize. Here is my make n' take card:


Stamps: Wicked Cool
Paper: Basic Black, Old Olive, Cajun Craze, Whisper White & Frightful Sight DSP
Ink: Basic Black Classic & Whisper White Craft Ink pads & Old Olive & Cajun Craze Markers
Other: Ornament, Jewelry Tag & 1" Circle Punch, Big Shot, Houndstooth Embossing Folder, Simply Scored Scoring Tool, Rhinestones, Sticky Strip & Dimensionals

After seeing all of the wreaths made with rosettes, I decided to try and make something with one. A couple weeks earlier, someone in my upline made something similar, with the witch falling into the cauldron. It then came to me to make a skirt using half of a rosette. The card was a huge hit and I tied with a fellow demonstrator for second place:)

My next card was the swap that I made:


Stamps: Dark & Dreary
Paper: Basic Black, Pumpkin Pie, Whisper White & Pick Your Poison DSP
Ink: Basic Black
Other: Big Shot, Scallop Squares Duo, 1", 3/4", 1/2" Circle punches, Basic Black 5/8" Satin ribbon, Basic Rhinestones & Dimensionals

I'm pretty happy with the way this one turned out. I love the DSP used with this one. Gives it almost a vintage feel. Vintage is so out of my comfort zone, but this paper helps.I think the Rhinestones on the spider add a nice touch.

I'm hoping to get some organizing done in my craft room this weekend. I finally got the last of my storage units and I'm in the process of putting things in their new places and labeling them.. I'm already so happy with the way they look. I will be back soon with some pictures to share:) I hope you have a great weekend!



1 comment:

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Have a great day!